Subramaniam said he stood by what he told Malay Mail
and that he had nothing to fear. He is expected to comment further on the matter at a media conference at 4pm today.
The MIC Central Working Committee meeting yesterday decided to ask Subramaniam to show cause for tarnishing the party’s image.
But the show-cause letter will only be sent after the elections, the CWC decided.
The announcement came as a shock to supporters of Subramaniam, with
former long-time Samy Vellu loyalist V.S. Chandran saying it was a
clear threat to delegates not to vote for the former deputy president.
“With only three days left to the election, they should have left it
till after the election. This CWC decision is intimidating and the
timing smacks of cowardice and fear,” said Chandran.
It also comes in the wake of a car burning and death threat
involving two of Subramaniam’s staunch supporters who are also vying
for CWC seats. (see accompanying story).
Subramaniam is facing a three-way contest with in*****bent Datuk G.
Palanivel and Datuk S. Sothinathan. Samy Vellu is backing Palanivel.
The MIC is also to take legal action against former party strongman
Datuk V. Govindaraj who confessed that he pocketed 30 votes to help
Samy Vellu beat Subramaniam by 26 votes for the deputy presidency in
In response, Govindaraj, 76, told Malay Mail: “Bring it on. I’m not
in the least frightened. I said what I have to say. My conscience is
Govindaraj, who is supporting Subramaniam in the Sept 12 contest,
and on a war path with Samy Vellu, had said he is rigged the votes on
the spur of the moment and without instigation from anyone.
Two years later, Samy Vellu became acting president after in*****bent Tan Sri V. Manickavasagam died of a heart attack.
Samy Vellu told the media after the CWC meeting that the party would
also initiate legal action against Malay Mail and the writer of the
He said that Subramaniam’s statement, along with that made by
Govindaraj, was aimed at “destroying the credibility of MIC’s
elections” conducted all these years.
Subramaniam said Govindaraj had confessed to him and another former
vicepresident (the late) Datuk K. Pathmanaban about stealing the votes
and chose not to wallow over the misfortune he suffered.
He had expressed sadness and shock, saying nothing could be done then and now to correct the injustice.
Samy Vellu, in response, brushed aside claims that the 1977 election
was rigged to allow him to win. He said it was mathematically
impossible, considering the number of votes cast in the election and
the certainty that Subramaniam would have challenged the election
result had he really known of the alleged fraud.
“A total of 1,080 votes were cast by delegates in the 1977 election.
There were 553 votes cast in my favour and 527 votes for Datuk S.
Subramaniam. I won by 26 votes.
“If Govindaraj had stolen 30 votes, it would have amounted to a
total of 1,110 votes cast, which was not the case,” said Samy Vellu.
He said it was also interesting to note that in 2006, Govindaraj had
claimed that he had stolen and “eaten” the ballot slips during the 1977
ballot count, but has now reverted to saying that he placed the ballots
He branded Subramaniam and Govindaraj “pathological liars”.
Cops probe alleged death threat
POLICE are investigating two reports made by loyalists of MIC deputy
president aspirant Datuk S. Subramaniam pertaining to a car set ablaze
and a death threat.
Both the victims, Senthamil Sekhar, whose car was set on fire, and
K.P. Samy, are contesting for seats on the Central Working Committee.
A group of thugs are believed to have torched Senthamil’s car that
was parked in front of his house in Klang about 6pm on Monday.
His family members managed to douse the fire that partially damaged the car.
Earlier this week, Samy reported receiving a threatening phone call
at his home. He told police the caller told his wife, who answered the
call, to tell him to stop speaking up for Subramaniam.******
Opening of Pandora’s Box
Submitted by gabey on Wednesday, September 9th, 2009
Wednesday, September 9th, 2009 12:52:00
THE revelation by former MIC vicepresident Datuk V. Govindaraj, that
he had stolen 30 votes in the 1977 party polls that resulted in Datuk
Seri S. Samy Vellu winning the MIC deputy president’s post, will have a
detrimental effect on the party’s future, say political analysts.
Merdeka Centre founder Ibrahim Suffian said for those unfamiliar
with MIC’s internal politics, this will fortify their feelings that
something is wrong within the party, and that the party isn’t the best
choice to represent the Indian community.
“Voters have higher expectations now and this isn’t something that
can be fixed with just rhetoric and speeches. This will have a drastic
effect in the Indian voters’ numbers for MIC, and in effect, for
Barisan Nasional,” he said, adding that with a number of large issues
building up in the past years, the revelation will not bode well as the
people’s tolerance levels are lower than before.
Ibrahim said that aside from the credibility factor, this incident
will also raise questions as to Govindaraj’s motive for the revelation
“MIC needs to recapture the confidence and the imagination of its
voters and how it can do this is through a thorough reformation process
that touches on its personalities, methods and dealings with other BN
component parties,” he said.
Prof Dr Aruna Gopinath, a political analyst and academician, said
Govindaraj’s revelation of what had happened in the past is akin to the
“opening of the Pandora’s Box” and will have a drastic result.
“Voters want MIC to be more people- centric and focused on nation
building and they want candidates who are not corrupt. Now that the
story has come out, this will change the mindset of the people who will
perceive the party to be ‘unclean’, ” she said.
International Islamic University Malaysia’s associate professor with
its department of political science Dr Tunku Mohar Tunku Mohd Mokhtar
said he, however, had doubts as to whether the incident would cause any
vote-swing in the upcoming elections.
“For one, the president is not challenged. His men, according to an
English daily report yesterday, were leading comfortably. The basic
issue was that the ‘cheating’ was done by someone else, not by Samy
Vellu so delegates may not punish him for that. At the same time,
Subramaniam’s votes may increase, but it’s difficult to say if this
would be enough to unseat the in*****bent,” he said.
On Monday, Malay Mail
published Govindaraj’s confession
that he had pocketed 30 votes meant for Datuk S. Subramaniam in the
contest for the deputy president’s post against Datuk Seri S. Samy
Vellu 31 years ago.
Subramaniam ended up losing to Samy Vellu by a mere 26 votes and the
latter became party chief when then president Tan Sri V. Manickavasagam
died in 1979.
Govindaraj, 76, said he acted “on the spur of the moment” and was “not instigated by anyone”.
He said he was speaking up after all these years because he wished
to make peace with himself and let everyone know what happened on that
polling day in 1977.*****
Fate of vice-presidential hopeful after party polls
Submitted by gabey on Wednesday, September 9th, 2009
Wednesday, September 9th, 2009 13:07:00
THE MIC Central Working Committee (CWC) has deferred till after the
Sept 12 party election the fate of vice-presidential candidate P.
Subramaniam, who was hauled up for allegedly tarnishing the image of
decision made at yesterday’s CWC meeting means Subramaniam can contest
the vice-president’s post but risks being expelled, even if he wins. He
is alleged to have said the party needs “wise men and not Yes-men” in a
recent media interview.
He was asked to show cause by the MIC disciplinary committee and on Monday was questioned for about an hour.
is the youngest candidate, at 44 years, to vie for a vice-president
post. His show cause had been described as discrimination because of
his opposition to the “official” list of candidates endorsed by party
chief Datuk Seri S. Samy Vellu.
He has been a party member for
26 years and is said to have a vibrant campaign with a website,
colourful brochures and a team of youths to canvass support for him.
The former Selangor MIC Youth leader is the chief executive of Ken Barnes Soccer Academy in Petaling Jaya.
MIC ELECTION RUNUP: Man for the poor aims for CWC post
Submitted by pekwan on Wednesday, September 9th, 2009
Partiban goes to the ground to drum up support
AS a precursor to the Sept 12 MIC Annual General Assembly that
will see elections for the deputy president, three vice-presidents and
23 Central Working Committee (CWC) posts, Malay Mail will be featuring new faces in the contest for the CWC posts. The series will run, beginning today till Friday.
The candidates, both in*****bent and new come from varied
backgrounds and professions but all have a similar objective - to bring
changes to the party which is at its lowest ebb since its founding half
a century ago.
Wednesday, September 9th, 2009 07:46:00
Among them are young and vibrant professionals who think
that the party needs an injection of new blood to render it relevant in
the changing political landscape.
For the 23 CWC posts, 63 people are in the running, making it one of the keenest contests in the party’s history.
PARTIBAN (pic), a former Ijok State assemblymansays he has a good
chance of winning a Central Working Committee (CWC) post based on
feedback from the ground after a non-stop campaign in Peninsular
“I am in the last phase of the campaign and have several districts
in Selangor to cover where I am confident of getting the bulk of the
votes,” said, Parthiban who is up against 11 candidates from the state.
Selangor alone commands some 286 delegates of 1,500 nationwide, making it the largest delegation at the Sept 12 convention.
Parthiban, a former teacher has been campaigning for the poor. He
believes the delegates are aware of what he has done for the people of
Ijok as a State assemblyman and MIC representative.
“As an assemblyman I was involved in many programmes to make the lives of the poor, regardless of race or
a little better. I used existing government agencies involved in
poverty eradication to bring changes to the lives of the needy.”
Though modest about his contributions in Ijok, Parthiban is highly
regarded in his former constituency for getting government funding to
repair dilapidated homes and securing educational aid for poor estate
Although a newcomer to politics, he finds it challenging and
rewarding. And despite losing in the March 2008 general election,
Parthiban continued his community services through his service centre
in Ijok. “When I lost
my state seat, my funds dried up and there was no income.
I had to pay for so many things, including repaying a government
loan I took to buy a four wheel drive vehicle. I also had to put my two
sisters through school,” said Parthiban who relies on his tuition
centre to pay for everything.
Asked if he made money through “party projects” when he was a state assemblyman, he said he undertook
many projects for the poor but never took one sen from the allocations or secured projects for himself.
“I live a moderate lifestyle and I am not after money. My reward comes from the happy faces of the community,
especially when they stop me on the street to say they are doing better because of my efforts,” he said.
Having lost in the 2008 general election, Parthiban worked as a
political secretary to Human Resources Minister Datuk Dr S. Subramaniam
for about a year.
Since then he has been actively involved in party matters and community work as the MIC Selangor state assistant secretary.
He said that if he won the CWC post he would “re-energise” existing
divisions and branches in the country to create more youth programmes.*********
Chandran takes a stab at Palanivel
Submitted by pekwan on Wednesday, September 9th, 2009
Wednesday, September 9th, 2009
PALANIVEL: Called ineffective by Chandran
IN 2006, he sported a long beard for six months until Datuk G. Palanivel won the MIC deputy presidency.
Today, he is pulling his hair apart at the alleged failures of
Palanivel for Indians in the Hulu Selangor parliamentary constituency.
V.S. Chandran, the chairman of MIC Bandar Utama, Batang Kali said
that some 7,000 people had been displaced over the past 18 years when
13 oil palm and rubber estates in the constituency made way for
Palanivel was MP for Hulu Selangor between 1990 and 2008 when the
redevelopment took place “but failed to get appropriate facilities for
the displaced Indians.”
Chandran, who was deputy chairman of the Hulu Selangor MIC division
for six years and a staunch loyalist of Palanivel, said: “We lost a
great chance to create an immediate Indian community because we did
little or nothing for them.”
He blamed Palanivel for the debacle and expressed dismay and shock
over him being the official choice of party president Datuk Seri S.
Samy Vellu as his deputy.
“His ineffectiveness and lackadaisical approach made the Indian community lose their confidence in him
and he is responsible for the BN’s loss in Hulu Selangor.
“I have a long personal experience working with him and I am qualified to give these views,” said Chandran, who came to the Malay Mail
office armed with do*****ents highlighting the plight of the displaced estate workers. Three branch officials accompanied him.
He said he wanted the story of these estate workers heard far and
wide so that no other leader should repeat what happened to them as it
The families were from the following estates: Bukit Beruntung, Bukit Mun Chong, Kapar Baru, Waverly, Ulu
Yam, Ladang Serendah, Sungai Gapi, Rasa, Kalumpang, Escot, Belata River, Nigel Gardenas, Sungai Tamu.
claimed that Bukit Beruntung estate workers who bought low-cost houses
in Desa Bukit Beruntung lost their deposits and instalments paid to the
developer when the project was abandoned.
“Palanivel did not lift a finger to discuss their plight with the developer.”
He said when Ladang Serendah was sold the estate workers were not
given any low-cost housing and “their living conditions presently is
“They drink well water and live in unhygienic conditions and
Palanivel failed to see the suffering of Indians right under his nose.”
Chandran said Palanivel had also failed to retain a Tamil school licence when the Belata River estate school
was closed 15 years ago.
Apart from the school, the estate workers also lost their temples, homes and the playing field when the estate
gave way for the creation of Lembah Beringin growth centre.
“The estate workers were ignored and soon became squatters,” Chandran said.