MIC Offering RM3.2 Million To Get Back Kampung Buah Pala Land
PENANG, July 23 (Bernama) -- The MIC is willing to offer
RM3.2 million if the Penang government can get back the land in Kampung
Buah Pala, Bukit Gelugor from the developer.
MIC Youth chief T. Mohan said the move was to enable the residents to continue living in the village.
He was speaking to reporters after handing a memorandum to Chief
Minister Lim Guan Eng through the latter's political secretary Ng Wei
Eik at the Tun Abdul Razak Complex (Komtar), here, Thursday.
Mohan and a group of men arrived at Komtar at about 5.30pm to hand
over the memorandum immediately after he was released from police
They were arrested about 10am today in Jalan Datuk Keramat here
for illegal assembly to hand over the memorandum to the Chief Minister.
Asked whether the value of the land of the land could be higher
than the price at which the land was sold, Mohan said: "Why did the
Pakatan Rakyat state government proceed with the sale of the land when
they knew the value was higher?"
According to the records, the Barisan Nasional had initiated the
sale of the land but the confirmation letter on the land ownership was
issued by the present state government led by Lim on March 27 last year.
There was commotion at Komtar after Mohan handed over the
memorandum when a man verbally abused the group, causing them to chase
the man and beat him, but the police managed to restore order.
The Kampung Buah Pala land controversy came about when the
villagers were ordered to vacate the land before Aug 3 following the
sale of the 2.6ha land by the previous state government to Koperasi
Pegawai Kerajaan Pulau Pinang Bhd, which then appointed Nusmetro
Ventures (P) Sdn to develop the land.
-- BERNAMA MIC's Mohan, Nine Other Men Held For Illegal Assembly In Penang
PENANG, July 23 (Bernama) -- MIC Youth coordinator T. Mohan and nine
other men were on Thursday detained by police for illegal assembly
after about 50 people gathered here to march to the Komtar building to
hand over a memorandum to Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng on the Kampung
Buah Pala issue.
The 10, aged between 18 and 49, were held at about 10am in front
of a temple in Jalan Datuk Keramat where they had gathered, with some
among them having brought along several bullock carts, Penang police
chief Datuk Ayub Yaakob said.
He told a news conference that a team of policemen was despatched
to the area to disperse the gathering but the group refused to do so
and some of the people began to march towards Komtar, bringing with
them the bullock carts.
"The police had no option but to detain the 10 men in an effort to
disperse the demonstrators in order to maintain public order," he said.
Ayub said the 10 men were brought to the North East District
police station for questioning, but the rest of the group gathered in
front of the police station, along with the bullock carts, and demanded
the release of the 10 men.
A traffic congestion occurred as curious motorists slowed down to
find out why a huge crowd had gathered in front of the police station,
he said, adding that the demonstrators dispersed after repeated advice
by the police.
The demonstration was held in support of Kampung Buah Pala
residents who have been ordered to vacate the land after the Federal
Court dismissed their appeal to remain in the area which they have been
occupying for a long time.
The residents have refused to move out and have asked the Penang government to intervene to resolve the problem.
Ayub advised all quarters not to exploit the issue by holding
illegal gatherings and demonstrations, saying the police had so far
received 26 reports from various quarters on the issue, including on
threats issued to the residents.
The residents have until Aug 3 to move out, and Ayub said the
police were prepared and hoped that there would not be any untoward