iMOL Archives - To Cut Red Tape, Sujatha Sent To Klang Hospital
Welcome iMOL Archives



Home 2SubscribeTrigger HappyEthnic ClashForumHistorySocialPoliticsEconomyEducationPlantation WorkersAbout me
Silence is not an option when things are ill done - Lord Alfred Dennings
Search   in  

 Create an AccountMain Home | Submit News | Your Account | Content | Topics | Top 10  

· Home
· Advertising
· AvantGo
· Feedback
· Forums
· Private Messages
· Recommend Us
· Search
· Statistics
· Stories Archive
· Submit News
· Surveys
· Top 10
· Topics
· Your Account

Who's Online
There are currently, 10 guest(s) and 0 member(s) that are online.

You are Anonymous user. You can register for free by clicking here

Select Interface Language:

Random Headlines

[ ]

Sujatha Suicide: To Cut Red Tape, Sujatha Sent To Klang Hospital

Contributed by Anonymous on Wednesday, March 18 @ 10:27:27 CDT

KUALA LUMPUR, March 18 (Bernama) -- Rather than refer actress K. Sujatha who consumed weedkiller to the nearby Kuala Lumpur Hospital (KLH), a medical specialist recommended she be sent to the Tengku Ampuan Rahimah Hospital (TARH) in Klang to cut red tape and enable him to monitor her progress.

Dr S. P. Sakthiveloo told the Coroner's Court today that he gave this advice to his cousin, Maika Holdings Berhad chief executive officer Vell Paari, about 6pm on June 19, 2007, to avoid traffic jams and unnecessary delays at the KLH.

makkal osai

"As I am attached to the hospital, I can cut through the red tape for such cases by bringing her (Sujatha) directly to the 'Yellow Zone', rather than the triage counter which is managed by a medical assistant," he said.

Questioned by Deputy Public Prosecutor Anselm Charles Fernandis on whether it would have been a better choice for Sujatha to have been treated at KLH since it was equipped with the best emergency facilities and referral centre, Dr Sakthiveloo said the jounrey (to KLH) would take about 20 minutes, and another 20 to 25 minutes at the triage counter.

"On the way to the Klang hospital which took 45 minutes, I had already contacted a house officer (doctor) at the emergency department to prepare the antidote and treatment to wash Sujatha's stomach, immediately upon arrival," he explained.

Pressed further by Fernandis that since he was attached to the government hospital, he could do the same at the KLH by avoiding the triage counter, the doctor said he could not comment on that as he had never done that.

Dr Sakthiveloo, 35, who is currently operating a clinic in Klang, was testifying at the inquest of Sujatha, 28, who died at the TARH on June 25, 2007, four days after admission, for consuming weedkiller.

To another question by Fernandis that since Sujatha's case was a medico-legal case which required a police stamp in one of the admission forms to indicate it was a police case, Dr Sakhiveloo said normally it was done by a clerk or nurse at the emergency department.

On another issue, the doctor admitted there was no urine and blood sample sent for toxicology screening.

"Samples of gastric lavage (draining the stomach contents), urine and blood samples were done but not for the toxicology screening," he said.

Dr Sakthiveloo told coroner Mohd Fauzi Che Abu that at all material times (a duration of five days), he was updated on Sujatha's medical condition and also closely monitored her progress.

To another question on post-mortem, Dr Sakthivello said that normally, in medico-legal cases, if the cause of death was known, the police would not request for post-mortem.

In Sujatha's case, he said he was unaware that the police had requested for a post-mortem, until about a month later.

However, he said from medical records, one of Sujatha's family members had requested that no post-mortem be carried out.

Dr Sakthiveloo agreed with Fernandis' suggestion that if post-mortem was conducted, there would have been conclusive evidence that Sujatha died after consuming weedkiller.

Under cross-examination by Datuk K. Kumaraendran who is representing Paari, Dr Sakthiveloo said that apart from him, five other specialists had attended to Sujatha at the Klang hospital.

"Generally, they had the same opinion that Sujatha had consumed paraquat (weedkiller), based on local and systemic effects on her body," he added.

He said the outcome would have been the same if Sujatha was admitted at the KLH.

However, Dr Sakthiveloo disagreed that Sujatha might have drunk the paraquat unknowingly.

This, he said, was based on three factors. They were:

* The actress had taken two or three gulps of the weedkiller;

* There was a distinct smell of the poison; and,

* There was evidence to indicate she had consumed it directly from the bottle.

The hearing continues on April 21.




Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Related Links
· More about Community
· News by sound

Most read story about Community:
GOD HELP MY Bro's n Sisters!

Article Rating
Average Score: 0
Votes: 0

Please take a second and vote for this article:

Very Good


 Printer Friendly Printer Friendly

Disclaimer: The views expressed by the authors and comments on this website are the sole responsibility of the writers themselves. The writer will take full responsibility, liability, and blame for any libel or litigation that results from something written in or as a direct result of something written in a comment. The accuracy, completeness, honesty, exactitude and factuality of the articles and comments are not guaranteed by iMOL.

If you do not wish any of your writing republished here, please send mail to sound20[at] Allow us one month to remove it. Thanks. Copyright 1998 iMOL

Page Generation: 0.21 Seconds