iMOL Archives Forums-viewtopic-Wake up ! Stop whinn
Welcome iMOL Archives

imol

Home 2SubscribeTrigger HappyEthnic ClashForumHistorySocialPoliticsEconomyEducationPlantation WorkersAbout me
Silence is not an option when things are ill done - Lord Alfred Dennings
Search   in  

Create an AccountMain Home | Submit News | Your Account | Content | Topics | Top 10  

Modules
· Home
· Advertising
· AvantGo
· Feedback
· Forums
· Private Messages
· Recommend Us
· Search
· Statistics
· Stories Archive
· Submit News
· Surveys
· Top 10
· Topics
· Your Account

Who's Online
There are currently, 11 guest(s) and 0 member(s) that are online.

You are Anonymous user. You can register for free by clicking here

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Random Headlines

Tamil Schools
[ Tamil Schools ]

·Yong Peng Tamil School Not Built
·Future looks bleak for eight pupils
·Replace HM please!
·Compulsory language subject for Year One pupils
·குவலா பிலா தம&
·Reasons why Tamil and Chinese students go to vernacular schools
·Ban Tamil Movies Depicting Excessive Violence - Community Leaders
·No Tamil School Will Be Closed Down, Says Samy Vellu
·Free Seminar by Prof.Dr Kader Ibrahim on 28th August 2010

iMOL Archives: Forums

Indian-Malaysian Online :: View topic - Wake up ! Stop whinn
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wake up ! Stop whinn

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indian-Malaysian Online Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tanglimara

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:45 am    Post subject: Wake up ! Stop whinning and start to act. Reply with quote

Saturday 04/10/2004 4:47:22pm
Name: Tanglimara
E-Mail: tanglimara@hotmail.com

I applaud your (webmaster) noble intention but sadly you are part of the problem plaguing the Malaysian Indians and not part of the solution.

The whole website is full of stories and articles in negative vein some of which are of questinable accuracy.Reading these articles a foreigner would think that we Malaysian Indians are living as slaves just like those Negroes in the US in bad old days or blacks in apartheid South Africa.To a Malaysian Indian these stories would only serve to demotivate and reinforce the inferiority complex.

History has shown us that the societies that had prospered and succeded in the face of overwhelming odds are the ones who took upon themselves to shape their fate by being PRO-ACTIVE and not retreating to a corner and start whinning,sulking and wallow in self-pity.

We look for easy excuses for our failures and often blame racial reasons as an easy way out.I come from an estate Tamil school and had no political connections to help me out along the way.But that did not stop me from being what I am now.So are thousands more.

There are opportunities everywhere but do not expect that to be given to you on a silver platter.I feel ashamed when I see Indonesian construction and estate workers drive around Proton Wira while we Indians sit in a Chinese restaurant,get drunk on beer and complain about lack of jobs and so called discrimination.In my job I try to help as many Indians as possible and while some took the chance with both arms but others just not interested at all.

We need to put our house in order before we start blaming others.Why do other communities look down on us ? Is it just because our colour ? Read the papers and you will know.The Chinese papers are full of stories of brutal crimes caused by Indian thugs for just the fun of it.So much so that they are fearful of Indians in general.When others disagree with someone they just quarrel.But Indians bring out parangs and heads and limbs get chopped even over a smallest misunderstanding.You talk about innocent Indians getting mowed down by a trigger-happy.Try to talk to somone in the police and they will tell you horror stories about Indian gangsters that don't get published in the papers.I vividly remember one incident of shooting where as usual the loving wife was going on a hunger-strike to find out the truth about her deceased husband.I don't know what had happened eventually but I could have told her that she was wasting her time...her husband was a crook and the whole town knew about it too.Only the poor wife was unaware of the illegal activities of the husband.I have numerous such stories of "innocent" Indians who were killed.

Just visit any secondary school and you will find that the Indian boys and occasionally girls to be the worst culprits when it comes to discipline.Go for a Tamil movie in a cinema and you will discover the rich "cultural" heritage of Tamilians in full bloom.And it doesn't happen during other language movies...why ?

I am grateful to god for giving me the opportunity to travel the world and to study the various people and culture.I realise from that while we Malaysian Indians might not be the luckiest in the world but certainly we are far from the unluckiest.Discrimination exists in every country and society.

I totally agree with one guest is that the US is the fairest country in the world in terms of treating foreigners. But then the US only welcomes Indians with skills and money that America needs.If you have neither then you would be driving a cab or cleaning dishes.Try to talk to an Indian cab driver in NY and he might not be sharing the same glowing praise that the above-mentioned guest gave out.

The Indians as a race is no inferior to any other in this country or outside.We are undergoing a massive transformation from estate based to urban based.We are experiencing growing pains now.But this pain can be minimised by proper guidance from NGOs,MIC and others.But once we come out, I am sure we will be re-claiming our rightful place at the top of the society.But to do that we need to stop whinning and start ACTING NOW !
Name: Retired Soldier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:47 am    Post subject: I fully agree with Tanglimara's comments. Reply with quote

Thursday 05/27/2004 10:04:34pm

Let me give my experiences. I was a soldier for 27 years. I can categorise my service into three parts - good, bad and better!

The good part was when I joined the Royal Malaysian Air Force in 1966. The British were still here and they were in authority in Ministry of Defence. During my technical courses, I was the best basic course student, the best advanced course student and an overall best student in electronics for year 1968. I was promoted from private to Sergeant within 7 years.

When the British left, the "bad part" came into play. The Chinese took over command of important technical positions in Mindef. The agony began with the Malays and the Indians being sidelined for promotions, overseas courses and everything of value. I was a Sergeant for 4 years when I was posted to a department where the bosses were all Chinese. They said good things about me but I was never promoted. A Chinese guy who was a step lower than me in rank when I joined that department was promoted to a rank above me after I served in that department for 4 years.

The better days came after the Malays took over control in Mindef. I asked a Malay officer who was in charge of promotions, as to why I was not promoted for so long even though my work was good. His reply was, "People can tap your back and say you are good, but they don't put it down on paper, you know what I mean?" I knew what he meant, we have appraisals every year which is done in confidence and those days, not shown to the person being appraised. The Chinese were giving me very low points in my appraisals!!

I spoke to the Malay officer that I want to become an officer since I do have the ability and qualifications and he asked me to apply. I did and I retired as a Major after having a wonderful time serving under the Malays and with them.

The Malays are not bad people. They have conscience (manasatchi - in tamil). In my own experience in the goverment sector, even though the "quota system" does impose some restrictions, the Malays will always give us Indians something as opposed to the Chinese who cater for their race only. Just look at the private sectors and see how many Indians are employed in the Chinese companies. There is even a pay disparity for the same appointment between the Chinese and others.

I was employed in the computer field when I retired. I am in Sarawak and back in 1992, I was the ONLY Indian in IT field in Sarawak. When I go to an office to service a computer the Chinese customer would look at me in a "strange" way. Some will even ask you - "lu, technician kah? Tada orang china kah" This is how the Chinese treat you.

I told a Malay officer in Training Department whom I just met in Mindef - "Tuan, I speak good English but I have not stepped in English soil yet". He was surprised and asked me whether it is true. When I told him that it is he promised that he would send me for a course when there is one. Within 20 days I was selected to attend a course in UK for 2 months. A Chinese person had rejected a course and the Malay officer slotted me in. Of course he had bitter arguments with some Chinese counterparts of his who nominated some other Chinese as replacement.

Relying in MIC is useless. ALL MIC politicians are self centered, caring only for themselves and their cronies who keep them up there. Most MIC politicians are poor when entering polictics but become filthy rich afterwards. When I retired, I did not have sufficient funds to send my daughter to UM, hence I asked assistance from a local MIC politician(at the place where I was born in Semenanjong Malaysia). He told me to look for scholarships / loans from Mindef channels. I asked a friend in Sarawak to help me and she refered me to a Malay in Yayasan Sarawak. He approved a loan for which we had to repay only 15% of the sum because of my daughter's good results. Malays DO help Indians.

We Indians need to help each other. Indians MUST help Indians. If you are in a position to help another Indian, do so. If you need to purchase something do it from another Indian. If you need a service look for an Indian who provides that service.

At the same time, I must say that Indian youths have a lot of negative traits - copied from the Tamil movies. They need to wake up from this movie fantasy and come to reality.

Look at the Indians in the local institutes of higher learning. The drink, skip classes, fall in love, and perform the worst, when they know fully well that it was so difficult to get a place it the institution in the first place.

Some of our Indians are doing so well in the corporate fields and it would be good to see them giving opportunities to other Indians to come up in life as well.

We must realise that it is not our right to be given everything but we ourselves must make effort to get what we need.

Be "baik hati, berbudi bahasa" and tolerant with Malays and we can go a long way with them.

Regards to all.
J.Suresh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Wake up ! Stop whinning and start to act. Reply with quote

Tanglimara wrote:
Saturday 04/10/2004 4:47:22pm
Name: Tanglimara
E-Mail: tanglimara@hotmail.com

I applaud your (webmaster) noble intention but sadly you are part of the problem plaguing the Malaysian Indians and not part of the solution.

The whole website is full of stories and articles in negative vein some of which are of questinable accuracy.Reading these articles a foreigner would think that we Malaysian Indians are living as slaves just like those Negroes in the US in bad old days or blacks in apartheid South Africa.To a Malaysian Indian these stories would only serve to demotivate and reinforce the inferiority complex.

History has shown us that the societies that had prospered and succeded in the face of overwhelming odds are the ones who took upon themselves to shape their fate by being PRO-ACTIVE and not retreating to a corner and start whinning,sulking and wallow in self-pity.

We look for easy excuses for our failures and often blame racial reasons as an easy way out.I come from an estate Tamil school and had no political connections to help me out along the way.But that did not stop me from being what I am now.So are thousands more.

There are opportunities everywhere but do not expect that to be given to you on a silver platter.I feel ashamed when I see Indonesian construction and estate workers drive around Proton Wira while we Indians sit in a Chinese restaurant,get drunk on beer and complain about lack of jobs and so called discrimination.In my job I try to help as many Indians as possible and while some took the chance with both arms but others just not interested at all.

We need to put our house in order before we start blaming others.Why do other communities look down on us ? Is it just because our colour ? Read the papers and you will know.The Chinese papers are full of stories of brutal crimes caused by Indian thugs for just the fun of it.So much so that they are fearful of Indians in general.When others disagree with someone they just quarrel.But Indians bring out parangs and heads and limbs get chopped even over a smallest misunderstanding.You talk about innocent Indians getting mowed down by a trigger-happy.Try to talk to somone in the police and they will tell you horror stories about Indian gangsters that don't get published in the papers.I vividly remember one incident of shooting where as usual the loving wife was going on a hunger-strike to find out the truth about her deceased husband.I don't know what had happened eventually but I could have told her that she was wasting her time...her husband was a crook and the whole town knew about it too.Only the poor wife was unaware of the illegal activities of the husband.I have numerous such stories of "innocent" Indians who were killed.

Just visit any secondary school and you will find that the Indian boys and occasionally girls to be the worst culprits when it comes to discipline.Go for a Tamil movie in a cinema and you will discover the rich "cultural" heritage of Tamilians in full bloom.And it doesn't happen during other language movies...why ?

I am grateful to god for giving me the opportunity to travel the world and to study the various people and culture.I realise from that while we Malaysian Indians might not be the luckiest in the world but certainly we are far from the unluckiest.Discrimination exists in every country and society.

I totally agree with one guest is that the US is the fairest country in the world in terms of treating foreigners. But then the US only welcomes Indians with skills and money that America needs.If you have neither then you would be driving a cab or cleaning dishes.Try to talk to an Indian cab driver in NY and he might not be sharing the same glowing praise that the above-mentioned guest gave out.

The Indians as a race is no inferior to any other in this country or outside.We are undergoing a massive transformation from estate based to urban based.We are experiencing growing pains now.But this pain can be minimised by proper guidance from NGOs,MIC and others.But once we come out, I am sure we will be re-claiming our rightful place at the top of the society.But to do that we need to stop whinning and start ACTING NOW !

Well Said!

It's always nice to meet balanced individuals...And yes I agree with your calls for this webmaster to be more constructive in building this website.

I sent him a suggestion to put more "success" Malaysian Indian stories and use this site as a tool to galvanise the community..

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: I fully agree with Tanglimara's comments. Reply with quote

Name: Retired Soldier wrote:
Thursday 05/27/2004 10:04:34pm

Let me give my experiences. I was a soldier for 27 years. I can categorise my service into three parts - good, bad and better!

The good part was when I joined the Royal Malaysian Air Force in 1966. The British were still here and they were in authority in Ministry of Defence. During my technical courses, I was the best basic course student, the best advanced course student and an overall best student in electronics for year 1968. I was promoted from private to Sergeant within 7 years.

When the British left, the "bad part" came into play. The Chinese took over command of important technical positions in Mindef. The agony began with the Malays and the Indians being sidelined for promotions, overseas courses and everything of value. I was a Sergeant for 4 years when I was posted to a department where the bosses were all Chinese. They said good things about me but I was never promoted. A Chinese guy who was a step lower than me in rank when I joined that department was promoted to a rank above me after I served in that department for 4 years.

The better days came after the Malays took over control in Mindef. I asked a Malay officer who was in charge of promotions, as to why I was not promoted for so long even though my work was good. His reply was, "People can tap your back and say you are good, but they don't put it down on paper, you know what I mean?" I knew what he meant, we have appraisals every year which is done in confidence and those days, not shown to the person being appraised. The Chinese were giving me very low points in my appraisals!!

I spoke to the Malay officer that I want to become an officer since I do have the ability and qualifications and he asked me to apply. I did and I retired as a Major after having a wonderful time serving under the Malays and with them.

The Malays are not bad people. They have conscience (manasatchi - in tamil). In my own experience in the goverment sector, even though the "quota system" does impose some restrictions, the Malays will always give us Indians something as opposed to the Chinese who cater for their race only. Just look at the private sectors and see how many Indians are employed in the Chinese companies. There is even a pay disparity for the same appointment between the Chinese and others.

I was employed in the computer field when I retired. I am in Sarawak and back in 1992, I was the ONLY Indian in IT field in Sarawak. When I go to an office to service a computer the Chinese customer would look at me in a "strange" way. Some will even ask you - "lu, technician kah? Tada orang china kah" This is how the Chinese treat you.

I told a Malay officer in Training Department whom I just met in Mindef - "Tuan, I speak good English but I have not stepped in English soil yet". He was surprised and asked me whether it is true. When I told him that it is he promised that he would send me for a course when there is one. Within 20 days I was selected to attend a course in UK for 2 months. A Chinese person had rejected a course and the Malay officer slotted me in. Of course he had bitter arguments with some Chinese counterparts of his who nominated some other Chinese as replacement.

Relying in MIC is useless. ALL MIC politicians are self centered, caring only for themselves and their cronies who keep them up there. Most MIC politicians are poor when entering polictics but become filthy rich afterwards. When I retired, I did not have sufficient funds to send my daughter to UM, hence I asked assistance from a local MIC politician(at the place where I was born in Semenanjong Malaysia). He told me to look for scholarships / loans from Mindef channels. I asked a friend in Sarawak to help me and she refered me to a Malay in Yayasan Sarawak. He approved a loan for which we had to repay only 15% of the sum because of my daughter's good results. Malays DO help Indians.

We Indians need to help each other. Indians MUST help Indians. If you are in a position to help another Indian, do so. If you need to purchase something do it from another Indian. If you need a service look for an Indian who provides that service.

At the same time, I must say that Indian youths have a lot of negative traits - copied from the Tamil movies. They need to wake up from this movie fantasy and come to reality.

Look at the Indians in the local institutes of higher learning. The drink, skip classes, fall in love, and perform the worst, when they know fully well that it was so difficult to get a place it the institution in the first place.

Some of our Indians are doing so well in the corporate fields and it would be good to see them giving opportunities to other Indians to come up in life as well.

We must realise that it is not our right to be given everything but we ourselves must make effort to get what we need.

Be "baik hati, berbudi bahasa" and tolerant with Malays and we can go a long way with them.

Regards to all.

Sir,
I agree with you as well..Allow me to contribute my two sens worth.

On my one visit to a temple, I met a girl who was previously studying in Tafe College.
The akka told me that some boys there do like what u said..They spend time looking at girls and don't spend time studying.....anyway...however there are also many indians who are now working hard. They did it with the same determination and zeal that you have shown sir....I just hope that all indians will have the same spirit...
Then one day...we indians will be looked upon more favourably in our own country..

Regards,
Suresh

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:09 am    Post subject: Re: Wake up ! Stop whinning and start to act. Reply with quote

Retired Soldier;

I salute you and your honest down to earth wisdom.If Indians generallly cannot absorp that truth than not even God can help them.

I am an Indian but not a tamil.I have seen the goodness of Malays.I left the country for overseas and have performed well and achieved highly, on my own steam.There is discrimination every where.We have to be clever and fight that with our success rather than being sour grapes.

I came to UK. and worked hard and studied and got to position where I have 450 professional english staff under me.

I go back home and find that the malays are far more welcomming and friendly than anyone else , part from the Sikhs.

Talking of the Sikhs, this small community has done extremely well, wherever they are settled, including malaysia an singapore.Why can the tamils not learnfrom such a community.

I am sure one must be aware of the discrimination that existed in canada,despite that the Sikh comunity has risen from humble beginings to be come the Premier of British Columbia, today there are five Sikhs in canadian parliament.The A-G of BC is a Sikh.There is a Sikh federal minister of Canada.No special allowances were made for thies success to be achieved.It was hard fight uphill.None moaned and gave up.There is a lesson to be learnt here.

The same can be said of the large Sikh community in the UK.Simple hard work,not alms.....or expectation from someone else to resolve the problems.

The tamil movies are wrecking the tamil community and giving a false direction to the youth and community.This has to be checked.There are problems.Address these together.Instead of busy showing an attituide which will not get one anywhere, direct the collective energy to build the reputation of the community.Learn from others.
Tamilian in the US

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject: Start at the bottom Reply with quote

The retired soldier has the right idea. MIC is not there to help the people who need the help but only those that are in power. Until we the people realise this, it is never going to change. The first thing is to limit the tenure of the officers from the top to the bottom to no more than 4 years. After 4 years they cannot run for the same position. MIC has become so corrupt, that explains why Samyvelu does not want to let go. He is the biggest gangster of all. If the leader is a gangster, how can we expect the rest to behave any differently. Every election Samyvelu throws a few crumbs and everyone is happy. The poor end up being thugs because there is no way out. What do you expect a little child, who sees his parent fight tooth and nail and end up with nothing. Why would he/she need to go to school? So they can be a factory worker earning a few hundred dollars a month, when they can rob or steal or peddle in drugs and make more money. The young children of the poor and the misfortune have to be taken care. Not everyone are going to be doctors, but we can be decent people earning a decent living. In america they have what they call 'Big Brother and Sisters' where young kids are 'Adopted' by older people and offer them their help. Maybe a trip to the zoo or park or to the mall. Buy them pair of outfit or tennis shoes or books or school supplies, this is not a lot but it will be a good influence. Young kids impressionable, they would want to work hard to better themselves. When ever I come to Malaysia to visit my Brothers and Sister, I try to do my part to help some young kids. It is not alot but they do enjoy the litle gifts. I try to give to a different kid each time. If every one of us were to do this we can help eradicate the problem. Blaming the Tamils is not the solution. The movies have been there and will be there a hundred years from now.We need to show the young ones that they can do better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indian-Malaysian Online Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: